Each year at the One-Design Sailing Symposium, up to five awards are presented to recognize outstanding individuals and organizations in one-design sailing. The categories are: Service, Leadership, Club, Regatta, and Creativity.
These awards highlight role models of creative leadership in one-design sailing.
US SAILING is proud to congratulate - Todd Haines, Geoff Hurwitch, William Bradford, Massapoag Yacht Club, and Ephraim Yacht Club - for their contributions to one-design sailing and improving our sport.
YACHT CLUB AWARD
To recognize the yacht club of the year for administrative excellence, fleet growth, creative programming, regatta support and member contribution at regional, national and international levels of the one-design.
Winner: Massapoag Yacht Club (Sharon, MA)
- A small, all-volunteer club comprised of 70 member families, located in the shadow of Gillette Stadium, home of the New England Patriots.
- MYC hosted their 63rd annual regatta including Flying Scots, Day Sailors, Sunfish and Lasers.
- They organize five racing series’ during the year, including over 150 races over the course of the sailing season.
- The self-help spirit of the Club has allowed MYC to keep dues at a minimum while maintaining the ability to host several regattas a year.
- Their Flying Scot fleet is one of the largest in the country. They’ve crowned several National Champions. MYC has hosted the Flying Scot Nationals twice. A number of MYC members are represented as Officers in the Flying Scot Sailing Association.
- MYC hosted the “Area A” eliminations for the U.S. Men's and Women's Sailing Championships, and sent two boats to the Finals in 2009. A club member won the sportsmanship award.
- For nine years the MYC has hosted a Women Skippers Regatta to get more women at the helm position. They also host a singlehanded regatta, in which boats that normally have crew are raced single-handed to test the raw skills of the skippers and improve their understanding of the crew’s responsibilities.
(Also see Boston Globe article.)